Solar Installation Steps
Solar Installation Steps
So you’ve thought about some of the benefits of going solar and want to find out what to expect in the process. Whether you are in Antelope Valley or Downtown Los Angeles, having the right solar company tackle your installation is key. Semper Solaris is here to provide a breakdown of the solar installation steps you can expect.
What Is Involved in the Solar Process?
We know that it can be slightly overwhelming trying to navigate all the solar steps on your own. That’s why we’ve created a quick guide on what to expect below.
- Get quotes from local companies – Find the right fit isn’t always easy, but it is likely the most important step in the whole process. You want a company that is reliable, fair, honest, and highly skilled at what they do. Read reviews, ask around, read about their values, and request a quote before making any decisions. The right company will help you calculate your solar needs and quote you on a system size according to those demands.
- Decide on an installer and payment plan – Once you’ve decided who you are going with, you can work with them to figure out which financial path is best for you. Your options range from a lease agreement to a PPA to financing to loaning to putting cash down for a outright ownership of the system. Discuss these options with your installer to ensure you choose the best one for your financial situation.
- Solar inspection – The next step is getting your selected solar installer to perform an inspection, which happens before any solar work can be done to your home. You’ll need to have your home evaluated for your desired solar panel system. These means that your electric panel and breakers will be inspected to ensure that they can handle the installation planned — or add on an upgrade if necessary. During the inspection, your solar company will also help you decide on where to have the panels installed on the roof and have it inspected for structural integrity to ensure it can handle all the necessary equipment.
- Solar permitting – While the actual installation of a solar system could be completed quicker, the entire process can take anywhere from a few days to 8 weeks or even longer in some cases due to the permitting and approvals that need to be received before any work and solar production can actually begin. The good news? Your solar contractor will work on getting most of the permits and paperwork you need taken care of on your behalf; this includes helping you sign up for tax credits, rebates, and local incentives.
- Having the equipment installed – Once the permits are cleared and the equipment arrives, the physical installation will begin. Your roof will be made secure with racking equipment for the panels and any other support or small repairs needed. During this process, your installer (or possibly the utility company) may need to have an upgraded power meter installed to allow for bi-directional electricity metering so that net metering is possible. Wiring will be installed and connected to the solar panels and inverter / power controllers.
- Final inspection before being powered on – Once all the equipment is installed and functioning properly, there is one final step: interconnection and approval from your utility company or city inspector. The inspector has to ensure that the installation was done correctly, safely, and completely up to code. After it’s been signed off, the switch can officially be turned on and your solar panels can get to work producing electricity.
Get Your Solar Journey Started Today
Ready to get the ball rolling on your solar installation process? The Los Angeles solar installers at Semper Solaris are always ready to help. We’ve worked with countless customers throughout the L.A. area, installing solar panels on houses big and small alike. With a team of highly skilled professionals — many of which are veterans thanks to our military roots — we are more than equipped to tackle your solar project for you. Working with us means quality service, caring support, and unmatched work ethic and integrity.