Many people faced electricity blackouts in California due to dry, hot, and low-humidity winds as well as widespread wildfires. A dozen counties shut their power off since sparks were emerging from aging power lines. It was done to avoid and control quickly-growing fires. Though the power was restored for a day, the residents were warned to prepare for a minimum of 5-7 days outage.
This was because of the weather conditions at the time, which could have enhanced the risk of wildfire. Now, we are seeing even more shutoffs in counties such as Los Angeles and Ventura due to the strong winds.
This is just one scenario. Blackouts and outages are not planned at times. Even if they are, the residents still have to be prepared to face the abrupt power cut. What should be done? The immediate solution is to have a Battery Backup Power Storage in your residence/building.
What is the power required to back-up a battery?
For a full charge, battery backup for home use needs 160 Watts in an approximate.
Is Battery Backup Power right for you?
The California outages were done for safety. However, such a scenario and an unplanned power cut make battery backup power essential and useful to many residents such as people with Sleep Apnea & CPAP Machines.
Need for a backup home power system
A home power backup is also referred to as energy storage equipment. A backup that can power up your home for emergency filled with sustainable energy is cost-efficient. Whenever a power outage is experienced, the backup equipment will switch to the power supply until the power is back. The battery charges while the power is available.
Systems like Tesla Powerwall & LG Chem are very efficient, larger in capacity, cost-efficient, and storage efficient. For example, with Tesla Powerwall, you will not even notice a blackout as when the backup mode is powered, Powerwall will seamlessly switch to this backup mode and stay powered for 7+ continuous days*
The factors for having a battery backup power are:
- Climatic conditions- Extreme weather conditions such as fires, ice, floods, lightning, and wind can impact the electric grid. Accumulation of ice or a lightning strike can damage the power lines.
- Trees- Trimmed trees do not impact the power lines. However, they do not potentially void all the issues. The branches can sway or fall over the power lines damaging them. Potentially high wind can make the tree stoop over the power lines. If the tree is not trimmed, then they create all the more.
- Accidents-Construction and Vehicle accidents can harm power poles. This results in the power lines to touch or break each other.
- Grid overload- The equipment gets overloaded with extreme temperatures. The system is impacted when you are using electrical heating or AC at the same time.
Which battery backup is right for you?
The answer to this question is relative. Some factors to look for the right backup are:
- Any battery backup power system being right depends totally on what you need, place, and circumstances are.
- A reliable backup should be able to provide power backup for major power devices.
- If your climate is not suitable, you live in a disaster-prone region, or where there are chances of more power cuts then, the battery system should be able to sustain that break time.
- They should be affordable to you for charging, maintenance, and installation.
3 primary features of a Battery backup power right for you
The below three vital features are essential in a backup battery
Reliable Battery-The battery backup run using solar energy should keep it charged and shield the device from power issues. The connected power devices like lights, fans, etc., should be compatible with the internal battery supply. How many hours it is able to give you power supply in the case of a power outage depends on the battery size and wattage.
The other factors to be considered are battery age, efficiency, and room temperature. The backup should be capable of offering computer data backup and avoiding any kind of data loss.
Automatic Voltage Regulation- The battery should be equipped to shield abnormally lower or higher voltages. No damage or malfunction of hardware should occur at these times. This will correct the fluctuations without getting the battery switched on at these times. It will set the percentage by detection to 10-15 percent of the required voltage to switch.
Noise and Surge protection-In-built noise filtering and surge suppression from a transient voltage that can be disruptive and destructive EM or RF line noise is abled in the system.
Solar Energy Backup Power
The backup power system of this type uses solar panels to store solar energy as power backup. Solar Energy systems are also referred to as a PV array. The energy accumulated through the solar panels is directed to storage within the battery system for home use when needed. Whenever there is a power outage, this storage energy acts as a power supply to operate as per the power specifications enabled.
Top advantages of Solar power backup
- The leading pros of solar energy power backup batteries are that they are eco-friendly. They have no or minimal impact on the environment. This is sustainable energy to reliable provide a power backup to your home or workspace without any harm done.
- They are able to give you energy security. Solar batteries can curb the issues of weak grid management.
- They are self-sufficient and give your control of energy as needed while being cost-efficient.
- They are noise efficient, a quiet solution to power backup. They do not cause noise surges during the night or while charging.
- They are power efficient. These energy storage solutions result in cutting your energy bills.
- They are cost-efficient as they use natural, sustainable energy from the sun. The charging is done as per solar energy available and harvested into the panels as the energy back up.
A home battery backup will always come in handy when there is a power outage. Which one is right for you is based on factors such as climatic conditions, energy efficiency, how frequently the power outages occur, if your location is prone to frequent disasters, and so on. Solar Battery Storage units are eco-friendly and make use of the natural resource as a storage system.
They need an initial set up investment, but in the long run, they are cost-efficient. They are able to sustain longer power outages comparatively. They are energy efficient with a good lifespan. They are quieter with noise efficiency. A battery backup power that is reliable, easy to install, smart, sufficient in wattage, and cost-efficient is right for you to combat a power outage.
Bonus: If you are a current college student or high school senior about to graduate, don’t forget to apply to our Semper Solaris Scholarship for an opportunity at $2000.