Though a ductless mini-split system does have its pros and cons, this type of air conditioning unit can work great for some homes. If you are looking to learn about the options, you have for heating and air conditioning in El Cajon, you have come to the right place!
Today we will learn about the ductless mini-split system.
Pros of Ductless Mini-Split Systems:
- They are more efficient than traditional air conditioning units because you do not lose that guaranteed 25 percent energy through your ducting since there are no ducts!
- They offer consistent temperatures for every room because each room has its own blower and controls. So, if you like your bedroom cold at night but your children do not, you can keep the temperature higher in their rooms, while you enjoy a nice, cool bedroom!
- They are also more efficient because they have an inverter-driven compressor that speeds up and slows down as the room temperature fluctuates instead of shutting completely on and off as a traditional unit does.
- They have an EnergyStar rating, so you can save 30 percent with the Federal Tax Credit. We can help you with any heating and air conditioning services in El Cajon, and we will make sure you are aware of any rebates available to you.
- Improved air quality because there are no ducts to trap dust and pet dander in
- They are quick and easy to install, and they only require a 3” hole in your wall!
- They lower your carbon footprint-they run off R410A refrigerant that does not deplete the ozone layer.
- They are great for multi-family dwellings-you can have four separate zones per unit.
- They can be mounted on the wall, ceiling, or they even have freestanding floor models, and they are remote controlled. Ask your sales rep which ones they install.
- You can place the outdoor unit as far away from your home as 50 feet!
Cons of Ductless Mini-Split Systems:
- The up-front cost can be quite a bit more if you are replacing a conventional HVAC system. You will see savings on your energy bill, but it does take a while for it to pay itself off through the savings.
- There is regular maintenance that you will have to keep up on because the unit cannot function well with dirty filters. If not cleaned monthly, the lifespan of your mini-split will be shorter.
- What most people like about HVAC is that the unit is outside where you cannot see it. Ductless mini-splits require a small unit to be mounted in each room that you want to be cooled. They come in white or beige and are pretty sleek looking.
- They cost about 30 percent more to install than a new traditional HVAC system, not including ducting.
Best Use for Ductless Mini-Split:
- In an additional room where it would be difficult to connect new ducting to your older air conditioning unit.
- Bonus rooms, sunrooms, “she sheds” or “man caves.”
- They are also great for homes that have areas that are really hot in the summer, like a south-facing kitchen. You can adjust to cool it more than the rest of the house, so it is comfortable year-around!
If you are interested in learning if a mini-split is right for you, give us a call, and we can discuss all types of heating and air conditioning installation in El Cajon to see what is a good fit for you!