San Diego Roofing – American Style
Your roof is one of the most expensive parts of your home. Why not take care of it? Replacing the roof on your home increases your curb appeal, the value of your home and gives you peace of mind. Plus, a new roof (whether or not you install solar, too) can improve energy efficiency, drastically decreasing the cost of your utility bills!
Our expert team of roofers provides the highest-quality customer service, making your roof replacement project as easy as possible.
Free Quote On A NEW ROOF Call Now!
Slash Your Utility Bills with The San Diego Cool Roof
What Goes into a Roof System for San Diego Residents?
A durable roof is made of more than just shingles. Protecting your home requires a complete roofing system that creates a waterproof barrier, defends against nature’s elements, and provides proper ventilation. In San Diego, homeowners need to think about the extra heat and sun exposure, too.
Your total roof system needs to consist of barriers, underlayment, starter shingles, hip and ridge shingles, ventilation products, and insulation.
In order to prevent leaks, you need to start with the right underlayment.
Water barrier products, such as the Owens Corning Weather Lock, protect your new roof from wind, rain, and other elements, while barriers and underlayment stop moisture and mold from seeping through your roof.
For added quality, a synthetic material like Owens Corning ProArmour with Fusion Back Coating Technology is stronger than traditional felt underlayment, reducing the chance of tears and leaks.
Fill out our form for a free quote!
* These fields are required.
Higher Quality Products Equals a Longer Lasting Roof
Picking out San Diego roofing products and shingles go beyond just appearances.
To start installing a long-lasting roof, the most durable starter, hip and ridge shingles should be used – especially on the ridge and eaves, which are the most exposed parts of your roof.
Next, your contractor should use high-quality starter shingles that are energy efficient, and wind and algae resistant. These starter shingles lock the first set of shingles in place, preventing blow off and wind uplift while pre-formed hip and ridge shingles protect the top of your roof from wind.
Our partner, Owens Corning, offers complementary shingle and hip and ridge packages to maximize roof protection and efficiency. Owens Corning has been manufacturing industry-leading roofing products for the past 75 years, and they offer LEED-certified shingles to help your home use less energy and save more money.
The last component of a long-lasting San Diego roofing system is proper ventilation and insulation. Roof ventilation prevents damage from moisture in the winter and heat in the summer. A poorly ventilated roof can transfer heat into living areas, requiring more energy consumption for air conditioning.
This is especially true during those hot San Diego summers in East County areas.
The Effects of an Inefficient Roofing System
Replacing your roof can initially seem like a costly investment. But in reality, this investment will save you more money in the long run – especially if your current roof isn’t properly reflecting all that Southern California sunshine.
According to a study done by the U.S. Department of Energy, heating and cooling your home accounts for more than 50% of your utility bills.
It’s no surprise that the sun is one of the largest factors heating your home, especially in San Diego. As the sun beats down on your roof, infrared radiation is transferred inside, heating up your home and increasing the temptation to turn on your air conditioning.
And, even though we’re blessed with mild winters in San Diego, you’ll still feel the impact of an old, damaged or poorly insulated roof during colder days.
Not only does 25% of your home’s heat leave through the ceiling but the high pressure at the top of the house creates low pressure on the bottom floor. The low pressure pulls cold air in from openings around the foundation.
In short, this means that insulation on your roof affects the efficiency of your entire home.
Installing a new San Diego roofing system with reflective materials and proper ventilation will lower the temperature of your roof, preventing extra heat from being absorbed into your home. Pairing these materials with the right amount of high-quality insulation will give you a new roof that can last between 20 and 50 years.
In order to cater to the needs of our Southern California customers, Semper Solaris uses optimized materials for all of our San Diego roofing projects.
Our goal is to save you money, decrease your carbon footprint and give you a more enjoyable house to come home to. We’ve helped our local customers cut their air-conditioning usage by at least 10 percent!
Signs Your Roof Needs Repair
Don’t wait until it’s raining to fix your leaky roof!
The best time to get a new San Diego roofing system is before a problem arises. If your roof is over 20 years old, it might be time for an entire roof system replacement even if you don’t see obvious signs of damage. Though the shingles made today are designed for durability, the materials on your old roof were likely not.
However, if you have recently replaced your roof, keep in mind that a damaged roof does not always need to be replaced in its entirety.
When you just need to patch existing holes, fix some broken shingles and/or add proper insulation, Semper Solaris can repair only the damaged portion of your roof.
If you notice any of these signs of damage, call the experts at Semper Solaris today!
- Cracked shingles or tiles
- Curling shingles
- Dark streaks from algae
- Missing shingles or tiles
- Water spots on your ceiling
Roof Systems Available
Terminology of a Roofing System
Your roof protects your most important investment – your home. Here are all the components of a high-quality roofing system, including some of the main parts we mentioned above:
- Deck: The structural base of the roof, which is usually made of wood.
- Underlayment: The protective material between the deck and shingles.
- Eave: The lower border of the roof that overhangs the wall.
- Rake: The outer edge of the roof.
- Flashing: The intersection of two roof planes.
- Ridge: The horizontal peak formed from intersection of two roof planes.
- Exposure: The portion of each shingle exposed to nature’s elements.
- Ice and water barrier: Waterproofing material used to protect from ice and rain.
- Metal drip edge: A strip of non corrosive metal to help water runoff.
- Valley: An intersection of two, sloping roofs, joined at an angle, which provides water runoff.
- Off-ridge exhaust vent: The vent that allows warm air to escape the attic, which is usually located on the upper half of the roof.
- Ridge vent: The vent on the peak of the roof, that allows warm air to escape from the attic.
- Undereave vent: The vent that draws cool air into the attic, which is located under the eaves.
Types of Roofing Available in San Diego
- Asphalt: This is one of the most popular types of shingle. Asphalt shingles are made of fiberglass, asphalt and ceramic, sandwiched together. They are lightweight, easy to install and budget friendly. They can last up to 30 years, but may be vulnerable to high winds.
- Tile: Tile roofs are known for their high-quality appearance and can last for over 50 years. They stand up to the harshest weather conditions without rot or wind damage. Tile roofs are a cost-effective and energy-efficient choice that a lot of San Diego residents opt for.
- Wood: People tend to gravitate toward wood-shingle and shake roofs because of their aesthetic appeal. These materials stand up well to wind, but can rot or mold in wet climates. If you live near the beach and want to choose wood shingles for your roof system, proper care will help extend the life of your roof.
Your home is probably your biggest investment, with the roof being the most expensive part of it. Ensuring that your roof in is good repair an is installed with the highest-quality materials will help save you thousands of dollars in energy bills and repairs.
For people who want to maximize on the San Diego sunshine, optimize your energy efficiency and increase the value of your home, we recommend adding solar installation to your roofing services.
Whether you need a repair or an entirely new roofing system, complete with solar panels, enlist the San Diego roofing experts!
This company did an absolutely wonderful job. I would give 6 stars if I could.
– E. J. // Semper Solaris Customer
Semper Solaris went above and beyond to make sure my wife and I were satisfied customers.
– Roman R. // Semper Solaris Customer
As a Marine I knew that this veteran owned company would provide me outstanding service and they surpassed my expectations.
– B. K. // Semper Solaris Customer